This was an interesting project done for a good friend that Marc and I have in common. He has several very clean Supro Collegians and wanted to have National build a new one with a yellow frosted duco finish. Kind of like the one I have on this website.
For this project I got the unfinished body and unfinished neck from National. I re-profiled the headstock to a more vintage contour than what NRP currently uses, and gave the neck a bursted nitrocellulose finish. I then started work on the yellow frosted duco. The last time I did yellow it took over 20 attempts to get a good one. I thought this one would not go that way. I was wrong. It was close to 20 paint applications to get this right. Now don’t get me wrong, crystal shapes form in every application. But when I don’t like the result, I strip it off and start again. So, when the body and neck were looking good, they were shipped to Marc for final assembly.
A cool, one off, Supro badged, Collegian was the result.